Saturday, October 1, 2011

Day 1: Failed doctor's appointments and hair experiments.

So as with any project I decide to take on, I'm going to dive headfirst into 'blogtober' and hope I make it past the first week. Wish me luck. I don't really venture much into the blogging world anymore, as Twitter and Tumblr have pretty much taken over any need I have to get things out of my head and on to paper. Well. Kind of. Speaking of, if you'd like to keep up with me on either of those venues please feel free.

I know I've used this blog in the past for various writing adventures as well as regular blog posts, and I think I'll keep that format the same. I don't use this thing often enough to really warrant a change. I'm not entirely sure what I'll write about every day, but I'll make an effort to at least keep your attention day to day. Some days it'll be a casual blog like this, some days it'll be a chunk of something I'm writing, some days it'll be a Q&A thing, some days I might find something online worth sharing with you guys. No idea what I'm doing with it yet, but we'll see what happens. SO. On that note, I'm going to kick this thing off in the most boring way possible: telling you about my day. Riveting, right? That's gonna make you want to come back every day this month.

Today was my first Saturday off of work in... I don't even know how long. I've been working in retail for 5 1/2 years, so having a Saturday off without requesting it off is a very foreign concept to me. I started my day by waking up at the crack of dawn (okay really like 9am, which for me is insanely early) and going for a quick run before heading to an Urgent Care center that opened at 10am to get some blood work done. I expected that to take about an hour at most, and I actually ended up sitting in the waiting room for 3 hours before being told that I wasn't going to be able to be seen that day because while they are a walk-in clinic, there wasn't a slot open for me to have the testing done, so I had to make a legit appointment at another center for Thursday next week. Needless to say, I wasn't exactly thrilled with the situation. On the plus side, while I was waiting I did get a good start into a new book I've been wanting to read. It's Friday Mornings at Nine by Marilyn Brant. So far, it's pretty good. Not my usual pick, as I tend to lean towards YA novels and historical fiction, but it's definitely holding my attention. Maybe I'll write up a quick review once I finish it.

ANYWAY. After that fiasco this morning, I came home and re-dyed my hair since it was faded to almost being white in spots. (sidenote: For anyone that hasn't seen my hair in the last year, the bottom layers are purple while the top is dark brown. The brown is still well intact, as it always is. The purple I have to touch up every 3 to 4 weeks, depending) I lurked Tumblr for a bit while the dye was setting, and actually dried and straightened my hair for the first time in AGES after I got out of the shower. It's weird the phases I go through with my hair. My hair has been super long most of my life, with the exception of the summer after freshman year of high school when I chopped nearly 14 inches off of it. About a month ago I cut it kind of short again, although not as drastic as the last experiment. It looks and feels shorter than it really is because of the layers it has, but I still can't stand how short it is. I wanted it shorter so I could actually do something with it other than throw it up in a messy bun every day. Now that it's been short, I haven't touched a hair dryer, flat iron, or curling iron since I cut it. Until today. Although now that it's getting colder I'll probably dry and straighten it more often since I despise going outside with wet hair when the temperature falls below about 50 degrees. I miss my long hair.

Now I'm sitting at Panera eating dinner and typing this up, while contemplating working on a few writing projects I've started and abandoned multiple times. (If anyone is curious, I got the Sierra Turkey sandwich and a Caesar salad. So good.) It's super cold in here though, so once I'm done eating I'll probably migrate to the Starbucks across the street, because let's face it. As much as I love good food, I love coffee a LOT more. And I could really go for a Pumpkin Spice Latte right about now. Yum :)

That'll be it for today, I suppose. If anyone actually wants to participate in this thing with me, let me know! I know I'm not the only one doing it, but it'd be nice to actually know someone else doing it. If that makes sense. Anyway. Leave me some suggestions about what you'd like to see here, or questions you'd like me to answer in the comments.



Days until Wrockstock: 27 (WHAT. WHEN DID THAT HAPPEN)
Album of the day: Valdosta, Mayday Parade

No comments: