Saturday, May 2, 2009

Twitterverse in IRLand?

Yeah I know my title is made of made up words. I'm okay with that =]

It's never really occurred to me that people outside of my online friends have Twitter. Within the last week I've discovered that one of my managers just signed up, someone who was one of my best friends in high school has one, and one of my really good IRL friends added me about 10 minutes ago. This really isn't an issue at all, but now my IRL world and my online world are starting to merge, and it's a weird concept to grasp. The two worlds have been separate for so long that when they start to overlap it catches me off guard and I don't know what to do with myself for a bit.

It's probably a good thing that they are starting to slowly combine. I've lived a "double life", if you want to call it that, for so long with hardly any IRL people knowing about my online life and the fandom and such that it gets hard to keep things straight sometimes. There are SO MANY inside jokes from the fandom that no one IRL understands, and on the frequent occasion that someone at work says something in passing relating to pickles, or goats, or anything really and I start cracking up to myself, it gets a bit awkward when I try to explain things that they just don't understand.

I'm going to completely switch gears here for a minute. I really need a new job. Don't get me wrong, I actually love working at AE even though I complain a ridiculous amount about it, but I've been there for 3 years and nothing has changed except for the people working there. Not only that, but there have been 7 people that have progressed past where I stand in the company, and all of them started there well after I did with the exception of one person, and he really deserves the promotion he got. Now, with the knowledge of that I have been job searching for a while. I have also been into Borders WAY too many times in the last 2 weeks, and there has been a sign in the window every time advertising that they are looking to hire a supervisor. I just finished the online application and I'm kind of nervous about it.

I feel like I'm sort of betraying AE by not telling anyone I've been looking for a new job. I've been there for so long and without sounding really cocky, they tend to rely on me a bit and I feel bad. I know I'm not irreplaceable there and they probably won't have a hard time finding someone to take my spot, but I still feel a little weird. I've known that I wouldn't be with AE forever, and it's something we kind of talk about at work sometimes that when I leave (not if, when) I'll stick around for floorsets and occasional busy weekends/holidays because I still like working there, and the discount is really good no matter what I think of the actual job.

I don't know. I need to start branching out and finding something better to do with my life. Maybe this will be a good start, who knows. We'll see what happens. I hope it turns out okay.

Books read in 2009: 7
Days until LeakyCon: 18
Days until Azkatraz: 76

1 comment:

Kassi said...

I would looooooove to work at a book shop! The shopping centre I currently work at has two but they're not hiring!
<33